Saturday, February 21, 2009

So, I wrote a book. Sort of.

I did, indeed, end up staying home from work on Friday. I pretty much got up at normal time and stayed up. I sat at my desk and did various tasks for the better portion of the day. All day long I thought, this is ridiculous! What am I doing! I should have just gone to work! And then I'd do something CrAzY, like try to walk from my desk to the kitchen, and realize why I'd stayed home. I also did spend about three hours in the middle of the day getting some much needed catch-up sleep.

So what was I doing all that time at my desk? A couple of things. For one, searching images for new tattoos. (yup.) And for fonts - there's this whole set of fonts known as circus fonts that are the COOLEST FONTS EVER. And you can get a lot of them for free. There's one I particularly like called Coffee Tin.

But I did something else too: I channeled all of my frustration about my illness into writing a 31 page zine about it, 29 pages of which is real content. I didn't finish it yesterday - that took most of yesterday and today. It's a combination of the web content of an, um, prominent medical institution's information on fibromyalgia, and my commentary on what they say and what my experiences have been with it.

And, due to its length, I decided to publish it. See, 31 pages (half pages, really) = 8 sheets in zine world = cumbersome and expensive to copy, and hard to staple through... plus I've been thinking about trying the self-publishing gig for a while anyway. This seemed like a good thing to try it with, since it was all computer-generated content with just a few images inserted right into the text via the word processor.

So... yeah. You can, um, buy it. By clicking on the button on the bottom of the screen. I've done some testing, and I've confirmed that the button works. You can order either a hardcopy or a digital copy - but beware! When you click on the button it will put one of each in your "cart", and you'll have to delete whichever one you don't want.

I ordered 25 copies for myself to put up on etsy; I'll be selling them there as well. That's the other caveat at the moment - I haven't seen the physical product. I won't until the end of next week. I just know what it's supposed to look like.

This is an experiment. Let me know if you take part in it - and what you think.


Support independent publishing: buy this book on Lulu.

No comments: