Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Baking Mania Part Two: The Verdict

Alright. I know you've all been clinging to the edge of your seats since last night, but you can relax now. I'm here to tell you how it all came out. (Collective deep breath, anticipatory giggles and waves of excitement roll through the crowd.)

Project one: The gingerbread. It is gingerbready goodness. Dense and moist and chewy and spicy. Basically just what I was looking for. I cut it in a sort of pinwheel formation - cut the square in quarters, and then each quarter on the diagonal - so that if we eat it in the right order it will just get more and more cute. Man, am I lonely.

Project two: The snack bars. Initial indicators are good. I tried cutting them when they were too cold, and... well, it's sort of like trying to cut hard candy. It more just shatters. But the chunks I sampled were mighty tasty. So once it warms up a little bit I should be able to render the remaining portions in bar form. Tasty tasty bar form.

Project three: The fudge. Here is the recipe, as stolen directly from Yeah, that "Vegan" Shit. Looks like the original recipe is modified from a blog called "Have cake, will travel".

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 T. rum
  • 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips (melt them and cool them down after measuring the amount)
  • 1 c. cashews (chop them after measuring the amount)
DIRECTIONS
  • prepare an 8×8 baking pan with some parchment paper for minimal cleanup.
  • whisk your rum together with the sugar. throw in cashews. add chocolate, stir well.
  • pour in your prepared baking pan, grab an extra piece of parchment paper and press down with a spatula [or your not-too-warm hands] on top of the extra parchment to level the fudge.
  • place in fridge for at least a couple of hours.
  • remove from pan, remove parchment paper and cut your fudge the way it’s never been cut before. the size of the pieces is up to you!
Now, I made my fudge. And my fudge is gooood. But boy is it alcoholic. My fudge needs rehab; AlAnon is not gonna do it. And I'm looking at the recipe, and I'm wondering. I saw "6 T. rum", and I remembered my home ec. class in the eighth grade, and I said to myself "big T means Tablespoon!" So in went six tablespoons of rum - over half a cup. Looking at the lifted recipe, for whiskey peanut fudge, it too has a big T. But I just have to be skeptical. Changing to teaspoons would effectively reduce the liquid content by two thirds, and I can't help but think that that would have an effect on the consistency. I'm just not sure. I'm too green with fudge to know! I guess I'll just get drunk and sugar-high on my rummy cashew cocoa goodness and wonder about it all.

Oh, and about that parchment paper? Yeah, highly suggested.

* * *

In other news, it's 12:30 and Jonathan still isn't home yet. Last night was the first night I've spent without him in, oh, forever. Not a surprise though; we knew he'd be on site all night. It just sucks. Have I mentioned that I hate the busy season?

2 comments:

Celine said...

you can always replace some of the booze with soy creamer or some milk alternative, if you're vegan, or whatever you have in your fridge that would be similar to that. cheers!

melissa bastian. said...

*feeling sheepish*... aw, celine, you found my blog. i cower in your superiority. thanks for the advice. glad i did it right; it's damn tasty fudge. maybe i'll try cutting it down a little next time, since obviously i'm a lightweight.