Monday, August 4, 2008

Day two: miles and miles

Today I drove forever. I drove uptown four different times, among other destinations. I walked, and I walked, and I walked. Riverbend, Mid-City, Uptown, Lower Garden District, Irish Channel, City Park, Lakeview. I combed.

I found... rain. Street cars. Graveyards. Canals. My father's childhood home. Street name tiles in that shade of blue found nowhere else. Trees. Brocato's: closed on Mondays. The Creole Creamery on Prytania: open. Octavia books, now employing my old manager from the days of corporate retail. PJ's on Magazine by Jefferson, now employing a bunch of strangers and serving a bunch of strangers and housing new odd furniture, but otherwise just the same as I left it. The Tree of Life - always slightly more enormous than I ever think possible. Fair Grinds coffee house - open again, but closed by the time I got there. Nevermind though, tomorrow is another day.

No comments: