Saturday, July 19, 2008

The sadness of hyper-extension.

No, I don't mean the knees-bending-backward kind. What I mean is this: instead of a nice thick layer of peanut butter on two slices of texas toast, my energies are more like a bit of melted butter that I'm trying to spread on every single crumpet in the Russian Tea Room. In a nutshell, I took on too much in July and it's come back to bite me in the ass. Between complete exhaustion and the fact that the C train's decided to go completely wonky this weekend, it has become evident that I'll not be riding a train this week.

That being the unfortunate case, I thought I'd share a little tidbit that wasn't included in my original B train post. In the interest of keeping the posts (relatively) brief I have to pick and choose what goes in, and it killed me to leave this part out...

See, it turns out that within the 145th Street station, there's a police station. This in and of itself isn't that odd. There are police stations in several to many of the subway stations - I'm having trouble finding a list of any kind, but what we can think of so far are Union Square and Columbus Circle at least, for starters. And these aren't MTA police, understand. These stations are sort of outposts for the New York City PD, doubtless established to prevent the subways from declining to the dangerous state they're so famous for having been in around the 70's and 80's.

What made this visit to the 1-4-5 unique was what was going on at the police station at the time - an arrest, to be precise. We didn't get to see why the three men were arrested. We seemed to be witnessing the tail end of the process, the men being brought who knows where, handcuffed, being led.

One has to wonder what led to the arrest. Perhaps they were involved in a robbery topside, and then tried to flee via subway. Perhaps the robbery was in the subway itself. Or maybe they were just plain old fare beaters who got spotted, with the new stricter fining laws recently in place and station watchdogs more vigilante, and they decided to mouth off or try to run when confronted - unsuccessfully.

Of course, the temptation to ask just what went on is one that must be pushed down, as doing so will most likely gain you an offer to join the offenders for their little trip downtown. Still, I managed to surreptitiously get some photos of the departing group. Without names or faces, our imaginations will have to fill in the stories. Let us hope that, if innocent, they were set free quickly (and apologized to), and if guilty they will meet with a punishment appropriate to the crime.

Hey, a girl can dream.

No comments: